Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Natural Homemade Deodorant




I know the thought of homemade deodorant to some may be out of the question. While to others, it may be just what they need!  I know I have always had a problem using an antiperspirant containing aluminum, knowing that there are high risks associated with Alzheimer's disease.  Also, an antiperspirant works to prevent you from sweating - a thing your body needs to do.  Natural deodorants are very expensive, so I have come up with my own recipe, and so far....  I love it!  Although I must say, I am not testing it in the gym or out in the summer sun with excessive sweating, it is working just fine for me. 

The ingredients are readily available at the grocery store or health food store.
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot powder (use arrowroot powder if you are prone to rashes)
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa butter
  • 3 Tablespoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon tea tree oil
  • 20-30 drops of essential oil
  • 5 drops grapefruit seed extract (a natural preservative, optional)
  1. In a sterilized pot, melt all ingredients except essential oils and grapefruit seed extract over low heat. 
  2. Remove from heat and stir in the other ingredients.  I used sweet orange oil and it smells so good!
  3. Pour into a sterilized jar or an empty deodorant container.  It will harden as it cools.
I used a small glass candle jar with a lid and it fit perfectly.  I have a small wooden spoon that I use to scoop it out of my jar first. 

If you use an old deodorant stick container, you can use a spoon to shape the top into a smooth round surface once it has hardened.




No comments:

Post a Comment