Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy Fabric Pumpkins


My mother and I have been making these fabric pumpkins for a few years now, but this year my six year old daughter was old enough to help me sew some too!  I just love crafting with my daughter, she's just like me!

Materials needed:

Orange and brown fabric in different sized rectangles
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Orange embroidery floss
Artificial fall leaves and berries
Raffia
Cinnamon sticks
Hot glue gun and glue
Stuffing

We started with a large rectangle of fabric, then folded it with right sides together.


Step 1. Stitch one side on a sewing machine to make an inside out tube like my daughter is holding in the picture.


Step 2.  Using a needle and thread, sew a running stitch along one end. Pull both ends of your thread to cinch up the material and turn it right side out.

Step 3.  Using the embroidery floss, sew another running stitch, this time around the whole top of your material.  Before cinching it closed, stuff the pumpkin.

Step 4.  Pull both ends of the embroidery floss to close up the top of your pumpkin and tie it off.

Step 5.  Using orange floss, make six sections on your pumpkins by wrapping it around the pumpkin and knotting it each time.

Step 6.  Hot glue a twig or cinnamon stick into the top and decorate with leaves, berries and raffia.


These are some smaller pumpkins I made with my daughter's class at school.
We started with a round piece of material about the size of a dinner plate.
The kids sewed around the edge of the circle and pulled it tight, stuffed the pumpkin and glued the stick and leaf to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment